Tuesday 8 May 2012

Toronto Goodlife 1/2 marathon

Sunday was my first time racing the GL 1/2 marathon, having done the full last year. I could not have done the full today and am glad I stuck with the 1/2 - as it's the better part of the course. When I was on course running, looking at the km markers for the full, I started to realize how mental prep is so important for the full's mental game as I wondered if I would've have had it in me to run it. It also made me solidify why the 1/2 distance is my favourite. It's long enough to warrant that amazing sense of accomplishment, especially when you're racing it, but short enough to not put you out of commission for a few days post race. The training doesn't take over your life, and the output is satisfying.

I had several goals in mind: A: sub 1:50:00 (lofty, really lofty, maybe later this year). B: sub 1:50:59 (Chicago corral qualifier). C: PB, under 1:52:24. D: a negative split (hard on this course). E. If all systems fail, just finish, be proud, and move on. In the end, I achieved my "C" goal but am happy with it because I gave it all I got. I had gas left in the tank (although it may have come out as vomit because I was pushing it pretty good) and I took 2 unauthorized walk breaks and that cost me "A" and "B", but I still got a PB and am happy with the performance. I felt strong physically and to a better extent than other recent efforts, mentally. But I STILL felt nauseous and don't know if that will ever go away. I might have to accept it - nutrition or not - as part of the threshold in the longer distance racing. It makes it unenjoyable but you still get through it, which I guess is the reason people keep running marathons!

The breezy, shady parts of the race were awesome, especially when they coincided with downhills (loads of them) but it was a little hot which made me wonder what Ottawa will be like. With winter training, I realize how I don't fare as well in hot weather running - even though I love the heat!

Seeing friends and smiles along the course was awesome. Jackie in his official marshall vest, Betty, Hez, the Lulu folks (awesome cheer station! It made me feel soooo special and put a bounce back in my step), Ryan and Sonia (even though they were both also running), the volunteers at CCRR (Sean, Linda, Mike, Luis, Jennifer), Ted, the list goes on - THANK YOU!

At the end of the race, I cheered on the fulls and got pretty emotional seeing some PBs and some painful finishes. I am so proud of my group and friends. I cheered so loud that I also lost my voice.

So now, if I want to meet my corral qualifying time for Chicago, that's pressure for Ottawa. I need to get 4:00:59 and it will all be condition dependent. I don't want to psych myself out and be a negative thinker but I do want to be realistic. A sub 4:00:00 is likely not a 2012 goal (that's not something I'd aim for in Chi). A PB in Ottawa will do. In fact, a finish will also do, especially with the chances of hot hot hot weather. But a lofty A goal won't hurt anyone either.

I'm leaving you with some pictures by Oliver Lee of the lulu cheer station, because they were a huge perk of my race and a pretty hilarious promo video which is the truth after running a full :)



No comments:

Post a Comment