Monday 26 December 2011

Inspired by Tofino






I never did do a write up on my first Tofino experience. That's December for you. It sneaks up on you and then you have very little time for yourself, and the time you do find is to ensure you're breathing deep breaths and staying grounded, not to write blog entries :).

While my whole trip to BC was fantastic, and seeing my family being the highlight every time, Tofino opened my heart and made a very deep impression on me. From the get-go -- my drive up island to Nanaimo to meet up with Dana -- I was overwhelmed by the natural beauty around me. I'd truly forgotten it, or took it too much for granted when I was younger, but the lushness of the trees, and the massiveness of the rocky mountains were breathtaking.

Seeing Dana and getting to practice in Nanaimo as my thirty day challenge was wrapping up was also deeply moving. There are certain people you just really connect with and I'm so glad to have found a kindred spirit like hers in my adult life. There was something about practicing in the Nanaimo space, with the deer watching us, that was grounding too.

The drive to Tofino was twist turny and like no other drive I'd ever done up island. Going to the west side of the island changes the scenery, and the stop at Cathedral Grove, was breathtaking. We got to the resort for the yoga and surf retreat (put on by OmTown Yoga - http://www.omtown.ca/ - check 'em out, such good peeps) and it was two and a half days of fat rain, strong wind good sleep and gorgeous wave crashing scenery. Oh, and relaxing yoga classes, invigorating and adrenaline rush-ing surfing, educational workshops, and tasty wine and cheese too.

tea making workshop
 photo by echutter (c)
warming up surya namaskar styles
photo by echutter (c)
pop up, damn you!
photo by echutter (c)

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Tacofino in my Tofino write up. Especially since I stopped there twice in my three days there. Fish tacos. No more needs to be said.

On our way out and back to Nanaimo, gazing up through the tall trees, rainbow after rainbow could be seen. I'll soon be back.
Tacofino!


No comments:

Post a Comment