Wednesday 7 December 2011

Reflections on my 30-day challenge

As November ended and the sweet month of December swept in, I ended my 30-day yoga challenge... by continuing my daily practice. Unfortunately, not something I'll be able to keep up when I'm back in Toronto, post-vacation, but something I'm gonna milk till I get back!

November is such a perfect month to do a 30-day challenge. Fall is officially among us, with cool days and shorter days beckoning you to the mat and the hot room. It is also a shorter month, one that usually falls really well with an automn detox (which I did earlier in the month of October), and there's usually less travelling for work (I find this to be generally the case, clearly not this year). I'd made myself some general terms of engagement for this 30-day challenge going into it http://hogtownbunny.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html) and decided to not be critical towards myself if things didn't go according to plan.

I practiced asanas a total of 33 times over the month, missing two days (where the lack of cloning made it impossible for me to be in more than one place and the impossibility of adding more hours in the day made it difficult to pretend I could) but making up those practices by banking classes. I was very aware of how my body felt after having missed one of those days and appreciated what the daily practice did for me. I practiced off the mat as much as I could, only encountering one incident where I was very unlike me and acted in a non-yoga way and caught it right away, felt remorse, and aimed to make things right (I was impatient with a hotel concierge who couldn't get me my checked bag in a timely manner when in a big rush to get back to a work function. Clearly still reliving the guilt and feeling inclined to write about it). I also meditated as much as I could and tried to find peace and compassion in myself to be able to cultivate more peace and compassion around myself.

Practicing at different studios all month had pros and cons too:
-it made me realize what studio is "home"to me and how much the sense of community builds when you can practice in one physical space with other people who have the same intention as you, month long (this was something I wish I could have been more of a part of).
-it made me so appreciative of different studios, yoga traditions and styles, and teachers to practice in different cities and different places, with different energy. I learned a lot from this.
-The feeling of being a wandering yoga-bond made me realize how little you need to do yoga. Just a small space, a mat, and your breath. And the opportunity to connect follows you there. Very cool to know just how big the yoga community is and how its benefits can translate to everyone.

Looking forward to my next challenge, which will likely be in March or June (have to plan it around training, races and recovery). Wanna join me for it?

Photo by echutter (c) - Tofino


Photo by echutter (c)


No comments:

Post a Comment