Thursday 12 April 2012

Fudge is love!

Sometime in 1995-96, I had a dream (and I remember this because I don't remember my dreams a lot) of walking by a candy shop in an old town, circa 1940, and gazing into the window display at the taffy, caramels and chocolates and finding it so nostalgic, romantic and adorable. A few weeks later, I was on the UVic campus and saw a job posting to work at Fat Phege's Fudge Factory in Market Square in Victoria. It was a one-pager with little tabs to tear off at the bottom. I decided that helping myself to the entire ad by taking it off the poster board was a good idea, so that is exactly what I did.  I eventually made my way to the store and, when I gazed into the window display, felt it was right to apply. I walked in, and shyly stood by the front door, hesitating and unsure, guilty with the stolen posting in my hand. What happened during my meeting with owner Herman, I don't remember, but I do remember over 2 years of wearing an apron in that space, helping to cut opera rolls to find a cherry in the centre for the perfect display, carefully stacking peanut butter and chocolate fudge layers for one of the trays, washing the dreaded fudge table on Sundays, and building my relationship with my second family - Herman, Carol, Aynsley, Melissa, Mac and Spencer.

For the past 14 years, I have visited the store on every visit to Victoria for a catch up, and occasionally, to throw on an apron for old-times sake. I have snacked on my favourite treats and taken back the best of the best to friends and colleagues in Toronto. I have received care packages multiple times a year filled with love and sugar from Victoria. I have followed and celebrated in changes and milestones in the lives of my fudge family. And most of this will still continue, however, the traditions of going into that familiar space in Market Square will not.

After 36 years, Fat Phege's Fudge Factory will be forced to close its doors on May 5, due to the Square's owners not renewing the lease. Market Square has been half empty and the glory of past festival days hasn't been present for many years now but closing this Market Square landmark saddens me (and countless other people) greatly. I, along with many people, have memories associated with the store - sharing fresh cinammon sugared mini donuts on the bench outside or a delicious poutine with fresh cut fries; going in just to bask in the smell; or going in weekly for your usual purchase and enjoying that treat in small amounts until your next visit. I don't know what the future holds for Fat Phege's (fingers crossed for a re-opening, somewhere!) but I do believe everything will work out as things always do.

If you're in Victoria, please go visit Carol and Herman before May 5 and wish them well and treat yourself to your favourite sweet.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Alice, for your kind and lovely words! You are an important and happy part of our Fudge Store family and memories, and always will be! XXOO

    ReplyDelete