Saturday 25 February 2012

NYC, 2012

Of course, I come back every time, more in love with NYC.

This trip was definitely not as whirlwind as previous trips and I could have fit more in. But it was nice to just feel not rushed and to be able to do things on a whim and to have part of my routine as per usual.

In terms of documenting, it was a hipstamatic trip - that was fun! I decided to take all photos from my phone, on my favourite app - and so I've compiled my trip into little highlight reels (in no particular order)... hope you enjoy!




Moksha Yoga NYC! I was so excited to get to stop by there and feel the energy and vibe of the space. On 6th avenue and 10th street, MYNYC is a second story corner studio with lots of natural light, great energy (because of the uber amazing co founders!), and is an extension of the amazing Moksha sangha that's growing. It was so inspiring to leave so much sweat behind in a christening of sorts in this space and I can't wait to go back!


Yoga was on my mind a lot while I was in NYC. In particular because I was/am injured and needed to find my peace with this and keep up the walking, the sightseeing, and all the fun stuff you do when in the Big Apple. I'm a big fan of striking my yoga asana vogue in different places I travel to and what I love about doing it in NYC is that everyone is too cool to even do a double take. So what if that lady is doing toppling tree in front of Flatiron? Boooring. So when visiting "The Treats Truck", whose location you find via Twitter on a daily basis, owner and founder Kim and I struck a pose in front of her truck. After the photo was taken, I ate an amaaaazing peanut butter jam sandwich cookie in about 4.8 seconds. Deelish.


Total highlight of my trip - because there's something so magical about running in Central Park - were my runs in NYC. They *almost* made the pain disappear! On the Sunday, I ran a 23km for my LSD marathon training. It's cool because Manhattan is so small square footage wise that you get to cover a lot of ground on a long run. I started in midtown east and headed over to 1st to try to do a bit of the route that is done for the NYC marathon. I went through East Harlem, Harlem, Central Park, Upper West Side, down through Times Square, Chelsea, over and down to Union Square, Gramercy Park, headed east to the East Village and back to the Waldorf-Astoria. On my Tuesday run, I went through the Park again, going the RIGHT direction this time (etiquette is to run counter clockwise through the park and around the Jackie O. Reservoir)!



The New York City Library is such a great piece of architecture. I could spend hours touching stonework and woodwork, staring at ceiling art, and recounting the scene from Ghostbusters in the main hall. The lions guarding the library (Patience and Fortitude, or as I for some reason always remember them - Charity and Chastity!) are gorgeous and I always kick myself for not buying the book end replicas in the gift shop when I go. This time, there were replicas made entirely of LEGO in the Library (top left). Super duper cool!



Cool eats: The top photos were taken from the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station and really, I was excited about going because there's a scene in Mad Men with Sterling and Draper in this place. We sat at the bar and ordered fried oyster po boys, crab cake sandwiches and oysters on the half shell. At Big Daddy's Diner, I was shocked at how many things on the menu could have over 3,000 calories. The guys next to me with the 4 waffles and 4 pieces of fried chicken with butter and syrup had the winner I think. That was not a prize I wanted to take! While I don't have any pictures of the delicious Ukrainian birthday dinner I had, I recommend Ukrainian East Village restaurants while you're in the city.



Took a lot more subway than I normally do this trip and that's okay too. I enjoy it now that I know how not to get lost. And I like the performers in the stations. Have some great videos if you ever wanna see.



Another highlight of the trip and primary reason for visiting was the last home game of the regular season for the Wagner Seahawks! They played an awesome game, winning by 20 points and had some great plays throughout the whole game. I always say it but I find college ball so much better to watch and follow than NBA. They play to win. The stakes are so high. And they commit! This will be the last NCAA I see Tyler play in and I can't wait to see what the future holds in store for this superstar!


A few architectural shots. The Waldorf-Astoria, was so luxurious and reminiscent of a time of wealth and show were so abundant for social primacy. The clock, featured on the right above, sits in the lobby of the Walforf-Astoria and weighs 2 tons and stands 9 feet tall. It was executed for the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and features the likenesses of Cleveland, Harrison, Washington, Grant, Lincoln, Franklin, Jackson and Queen Victoria on each of the 8 sides. It rings Westminster chimes on the quarter hour and fills the lobby. I also got to visit the Merchant Museum which was educational, fun, and totally unassuming (in an old brownstone semi) so not busy at all. I recommend checking it out! (bottom left photo is the dining room).



A few documented but not featured pictures and notes from the trip:
Recycling - still hard to find, pretty much anywhere. Moksha NYC has it (yay!), as does the Tenement. All public bins I find (the few I find - I spotted 3 (Central Park, Staten Island Ferry terminal, and Union Square) are usually filled with garbage. Sigh.
Tenement - has moved its gift shop to a larger, bigger, better place. Capital project success and so happy for them!
Broadway - saw Other Desert Cities but lead Rachel Griffiths (Brenda from 6 feet under) was being understudied that day. Judith Light and Stockard Channing were gold though.

No comments:

Post a Comment