Friday 17 February 2012

Yoga for Runners

Quad burnage is GOOD!


I had me a fun time talking yoga to runners at the Queen West Lulu run club this week. We covered some strength, stability and balance principles, went for a run (except I ducked out after 4km due to pain. Bah!), and then incorporated some of the stretching, flexibility and breathing elements in a mini class post run. It was a good crew and I always enjoy teaching in a 'workshop' type setting, especially with people who have a lot of body awareness for a sport (running) and are looking to complement it with my other passion (yoga), and exploring with them, through Q&As.

As I develop in my teaching, I am working on developing a yoga for athletes class - but one that not only covers the basics of stretching tight areas and building muscular imbalances in runners and cyclists, but that incorporates core strengthening in typically weaker areas, yin, letting go of the ego, mindfulness and aspects of yoga that can allow one to reach 'zen running' and more. I look forward to working on this and gaining tips through various continuing education workshops at the Yoga Conference this year. So stay tuned for that, hopefully to be something I can have in place to offer by late 2012 (after all my training and running is out of the way for the fall season too!) - perhaps at a clinic near you.
Ahh, pigeon. A love hate for the runner near you!
One of many references to the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment