Monday 30 January 2012

Suspended savasana is the best thing since sliced bread

Had a good time at Flying Yogini doing an aerial yoga workshop this weekend. The two hour workshop sets you up on your "om gym" suspension equipment and starts you off with some restorative type stretching (great freedom in backbending, in supported downward dog), some strengthening (hanging on stirrup type handles and working glute, hamstring, bicep strength (and more!)), moving on to inversions (bridge, shoulder stand, headstand and handstand, progressively getting higher off the ground), and ending in a suspended savasana. Lying in the fullness of the fabric (parachute like material) as if in a cocoon, legs hanging in the middle handles as you float freely with your arms crossed over your chest or head, is the most relaxing, vulnerable, beautiful thing ever.

I did feel pretty nauseous afterwards for a bit as my organs and insides restored by to a downward gravity pull. My spine however, including back of the neck felt long and articulate for the rest of the day.

If you're interested in trying, I would suggest the intro workshop to get a feel for the movement and the style. It's definitely different and takes adapting, but it was fun to try. I don't think it could become my daily practice, although I would be interested in seeing how to progress and in trying more difficult postures. Once the muscle memory kicks in, I'm sure it becomes a lot more graceful than when I was trying it, and I bet that you can make it a flowy dance with breath.

http://theflyingyogi.ca/

On Sunday, I got to do a hands-on adjustment with the owners and fellow teachers at Moksha Yoga Danforth. What a fun group to get to experiment on, learn from, and grow with. My heart always expands when I have these inspiring moments of learning and loving. Learned lots of new adjustments that I'm looking forward to trying in class to ensure you're safe in the postures, to connect with you, and also, to allow you to go deeper. So get ready for some hands-on and I look forward to your feedback!


No comments:

Post a Comment