Monday 17 October 2011

Marathon #2 - STWM

Tao examining the goods.
Going into marathon #2 with little enthusiasm, nerves, and excitement the week leading up to it, I figured there was something psychologically off. At the Expo, folks at the Running Room were asking me if I was keeping my nerves in check... if I was really pumped... and I didn't know how to answer. The night before, I slept well, right through the night, and got up to get ready for the race like it was any other Sunday. When I got into my corral, lined up with the 4:10 pace bunny, I waited for the butterflies. They started for a few minutes but that was the extent of the nerves.

But I don't think it affected me negatively at all. I think it was just my body being wise and knowing that while it's a feat, and while you have to respect the distance, it could do this. I started slower than I normally would and am glad I demonstrated some discipline on that front (goal #1 accomplished). When the elites ran by us on their way back, I got emotional. That's when it hit me I was running a friggin' marathon. But it was a good feeling - relaxed, strong. At around 10km, the sciatica started making itself known and I worried for a bit I would have a DNF since it's the kind of pain I am not interested in worsening. I kept my pace relaxed and tried to not dwell on the twinge in my glute/leg.


Cheering on the cheerers.

At 18km, where the half marathoners and the full split, the first thought that went through my head was taking the tempting 1/2 "exit" because really, would anyone really care/notice if I just parted with the 1/2s? I remember in 2008 when I ran the half, seeing the marathoners split off and thinking "They have to do that ALL over again, AND more, at that pace? They're nuts!". Indeed, we are nuts, and I took the marathon cutoff.

The stretch along Queens Quay is always brutal, no matter what race. It was windy and I knew we were heading from there to Commissioners, which is also a pretty uninspiring stretch. But I kept going, one kilometer at a time.

My chip wasn't beeping at various checkpoints (the two on Commissioners and possibly 30km) and I started getting a little stressed I wouldn't have an official time. Lucky for me, I checked at the end and it looks like it ended up recording anyway, including my split times and final time.

The Beach stretch was good, lots of people out, lots of balloons and streamers, lots of music. That wasn't enough to distract me though and by 33km (much later in the race than last time), the nausea began. I thought I would try to run through it (possibly risking an embarrasing accident on the street) instead of losing my 10s and 1s like last time but I couldn't persevere through and my training fell apart at 35km. From there to the end of the race, I was able to find that "digging deep" you have to do (much better than last time), but it was a mental negotiating with myself to run to the next designated spot before getting a short walk break.

The crowds were the best I've ever seen in Toronto. People cheered, yelled, cowbelled, hollered, whistled, and it made for such a great ambiance. Forgive me if I forgot anyone but those that I saw out there: Chantal, Marie, Ted, Tracy & Koda, Quin, Amy, Nick, Ian, Julie Anna, Nicole and the Lulu crew, Dawn, Pat, Frank, Sonia, Wasila, Donna, and June Ann, and those I didn't see but were there: James, Ginny, THANK YOU! It really kept the motivation up and the feet moving. How could I not have a smile on my face passing these cheering posses?

Amazing cheering crew at 41km.


1.2 km to go! Dig it!
 RECAP:
The good:
-the crowds cheering everyone on
-the PB at 30km (2:52) and shaving 10 minutes off my time (wanted at least 4:15, so that next year I can make my way to 4 hours)
-the guy at 200 meters from the start line yelling "Almost there guys"
-the little girl and runner dad handing out pre-peeled bananas in the Beach
-running like "I'm just starting to get the joke" for the last half of the race. Slight smile, relaxed shoulders, made for a huge difference
-no iPOD/music for 38km of the race. Really present!
-the 100-year-old man, Fauja Singh, finishing the marathon

300 meters. Nothing stopping me now!
The not-so-good:
-the pain in the sciatica which held on to the end
-the chafing. Ouch.
-not being able to sustain the same pace for the full run (goal #3).
-the man who died from heart failure in the 1/2 marathon*

*regarding the individual who passed away running the 1/2: we saw it a few weeks ago in Montreal, and then again in Chicago, and it really needs to be reinforced that these distances are athletic endeavours that are taxing on the system - mentally, physically, emotionally. They require one to talk to a doctor before training, doing the full training and taking it seriously, and listening to your body if you feel certain types of pain instead of thinking it's a normal feeling. I was really saddened to hear this yesterday and am thinking of his family and friends during this difficult time.


No comments:

Post a Comment